Montana State began the search for its next head men’s basketball coach less than a week after the completion of the 2019 Big Sky Tournament in Boise, Idaho.
On March 17, MSU athletic director Leon Costello announced Brian Fish would not have his contract renewed after five seasons at the helm. During those five seasons, Fish went 65-92, including 42-50 in Big Sky Conference play.
“After a thorough review of the men’s basketball program, I met with Brian and informed him of my decision not to renew his contract; I also thanked Brian for his years of service to Montana State University,” Costello said in a statement issued by the school.
“This type of decision is always hard and one I do not take lightly. We are grateful to Brian for his dedication to Montana State University and the men’s basketball program. We wish Brian the best in his future endeavors.”
Through an MSU spokesman, Costello declined further comment until he hires his next head coach. On March 22, Montana State released its seven-member selection committee.
- Camie Bechtold, Senior Associate Athletic Director – Administration
- Casey Fox, Senior Associate Athletic Director – External Relations (Chair)
- Harald Frey, Men’s Basketball – Student-Athlete
- George Haynes, Montana State University – Extension Specialist Agriculture & Economics/Faculty Athletics Representative
- Terry Leist, Montana State University – Vice President, Administration & Finance
- Rainey Peuse, QA Engineer Oracle/Alumni Relations Advisory Board Member/6th Man Club Member
- Stu Starner, Advisor to Search Committee – Former Montana State Men’s Basketball Coach/6th Man Club Member